Gas vs Diesel for towing (non lsr)

To: "landspeed list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas vs Diesel for towing (non lsr)
From: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:17:54 -0700
List,
Something else to get the juices flowing.
Bryan mentioned a guy who had a diesel and it lasted so long it wore the
truck out. Maybe it was the wrong truck.
Diesels are not for everyone or for every application. I paid $4300 dollars
more for my truck with the diesel compared to the gas. I you look in the
Blue Book, most of that price comes back at trade-in time.
You also get better fuel economy, more torque where you can use it, and in
the case of Ford, a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine. If you factor all
that in, For some of us, a diesel is a better buy.
If I drove my truck into the city for work each day, I would probably not
get a diesel and it certainly would not be a crew cab dually.
I saw a comparison a few years back between a Ford v-10 and a Powerstroke
pulling a large fifth wheel. The v-10 with a 4.30 gear was about equal in
pulling power to a powerstroke with a 3.73 gear.
The mileage difference was about 4 mpg. I pull to Bonneville with a gcw of
over 21,000 lbs and average about 11 mpg for the entire time away from home
and have never had a problem with downgrades. If you have ever driven fron
Arizona to Wendover, you know there are some good mountain climbs. I just
take it out of overdrive and on some hills, that is all I need. I pick a
target speed and don't let it get more than 5 mph over that before I bring
it down sharply with the brakes. Then I get off them and let them cool. Of
course four wheel disc brakes on the truck and six wheel brakes on the
trailer doesn't hurt.
Thank goodness we don't all like the same thing.
(Bryan, no harpoon. I think we both know the guy you were referring to)
Howard Nafzger