Re: Teardrop red herring?

To: Michael Siewert <mdsiewer@ucalgary.ca>
Subject: Re: Teardrop red herring?
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:06:26 -0800 (PST)
I think that's where surface tension figures into it.  Nature will try to take
the falling sphere and elongate it into a better aerodynamic shape, but it is
always a compromise because the medium wants to stay in a sphere.  Lead has
much higher surface tension than water, so it stays nearly shperical.  Water
stretches out a little into the common "tear drop" shape.  A lighter liquid,
such as alcohol, would stretch out even longer.  The wind resistance vs the
surface tension would sort of determine the amount of stretch.  Now that's a
realy layman's opinion, since I am in no way a hydraulic or aeronautical
engineer.

Dick J

 Michael Siewert <mdsiewer@ucalgary.ca> wrote:
I keep seeing the tear-drop referrenced as a natural aerodymamic
shape. It bugs me. 'cause raindrops are pretty much spherical.
Liquids take on a spherical shape when falling through air, that's how
lead shot is made.

http://www.eng.vt.edu/fluids/msc/my_pages/raindrops/raindrop.htm

--
--