Inspection Hole

To: "LSR-List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Inspection Hole
From: "Elon" <netstuff@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:05:26 -0800
I am trying to positively identify the thickness of my completely welded
roll cage (It is a 10 point cage for a 67 Camaro, a project being
resurrected from about 20 years ago).   I talked to a shop with an
electrosonic tester and they said the only way to be certain of a reading is
to calibrate the sensor with the exact same material before the test. It
comes with standards for all of the common cast iron engine blocks but not
for steel tubing.

I want to drill a small hole in the cage (to enable measurement) but do not
know what diameter hole or the correct location that is acceptable to the
SCTA tech inspectors and I don't want to weaken the cage either. Could
somebody please advise.   Thanks - Elon