Re: PRO Question(s)

To: Elon <netstuff@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: PRO Question(s)
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:12:09 -0800
Elon,

I may have been the one who made the comments about unparalleled roof
rails giving handling problems.

There are probably different ideas on how this should be done, but this
is my take on the subject. When I first installed the roof rails on the
Pierson Coupe, I created a problem. I found that I had not found the
actual center of the roof when I installed the rails. It is very
important to find the center of the roof which I had done in error
because of the method I first employed. After making the proper
corrections, which included giving the rails about 2 inches more
separation at the rear than at the front, I had no problems.

This was not my imagination. When I first experienced the problem, I was
at Speedweek on a wet course and assumed the handling problem was due to
the course (I actually made six 360s between the 1/4 clocks on my first
run and the rest of the week it was a miserable experience.)

After having a tail wagging experience above 150 MPH at the World of
Speed, the next month, on a dry course, I pondered the problem and
concluded that the only change that had been made from the previous year
was the roof rails. At that time USFRA did not require the rails so I
removed them and tail wagging disappeared. After the proper
reinstallation, I had no problems.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC