Re: Jack and Teenagers (non lsr) ---- and Gearhead Fever

To: gridlen@yahoo.com, Nt788@aol.com, wester6935@attbi.com, lsr_man@yahoo.com,
Subject: Re: Jack and Teenagers (non lsr) ---- and Gearhead Fever
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:04:09 EST
         Glenn, Jack ........ I think " TV" Tommy Ivo somehow got the title of
" World's Oldest Teenager " a few years back, so I guess he is the rightful
owner of that !  When I saw him at the Indy Nationals in 1962 ( with the four
engine rail & biggest drag chute I ever saw ))he sure did look Very Youthful
       I saw him at the Bakersfield Hot Rod Reunion several years back and
though age is catching up with him, as with all of us, he is still as young
at
heart, and as totally devoted to drag racing and hot rodding as he ever was
!!!
      I guess the bottom line is our never-ending love of racing and race cars
is somewhat a Fountain of Youth to all of us who got struck by the racing
bug, no matter how long ago or how recently !!!!  In my case I got gearhead
fever along about 1948 from attending local oval tracks here in New England,
and we didn't get any drags around here until the early Fifties .
       My oldest son Doug just called me up and said he regretted not going
to Speedweek last year ( no really strong engine available for Black Radon )
and asked if I wanted to drive out to the Salt this August, and you know what
my answer was, so I am already charged up !  We are not sure yet if Darrell
will be running the Firebird or not, but as Doug said, if not, at least we
can do
some serious racecar eyeballing, photography, and meeting many racers .....
which is tough to do when thrashing on an entry .
        Bruce, NOT feeling like a teenager, but very thankful to have had
                     gearhead fever for over half a century !
PS : Current Temperature here is exactly 75 * less than when I was last
                                         on the Salt !