RE: Coast Down at Bonneville

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Coast Down at Bonneville
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:45:11 -0600
Skip:

it's called "Newton's Second Law of Motion", popularly written F=MA (down,
Dr. Mayf; I know that this is a simplification-- "first principles" is
really differential calculus-- but it looks to me like the simple algebra
works here).

Most of what we are interested in (in racing) is based on this law.

F= force (here, the force we are interested in is (Fad + Frr)-- that is, the
force of the aero drag plus the force of the rolling resistance)

M= mass of the car (or bike) --(you left that out, Dave D.)

A= the acceleration (or DEcelleration, in this case)-- which you will
calculate from your "power shut-off speed", your exit speed, and the time
between the two (yeah, Skip, that's your "delta T"). I think this equation
should work:

(Fad + Frr) = M {(V1 -V2)/(T1 - T2)}

where...
V1 is the speed (in feet per second) at power shut-off
V2 is the speed sometime later
(T1 - T2) is the elapsed time (in seconds) between the two speed
measurements

Russ, #1226B