Wet VS Dry Sump

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Wet VS Dry Sump
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:34:43 -0500 (EST)
Looking at the 'old technology', I have to think Henry Ford put a
super-good oiling system into the good old Flathead V8, all 20 million
of them.

I had a chat with John Bradley(for many years King of the Flathead
Dragsters) at a meet one time and he told me his oiling principles.  It
consisted of a dead-stock Flathead system.  A pressure gauge sat up on
the back of the block where he could see it from the driver's seat.  He
said if he thought the pressure was getting a little low, he just put a
heavier oil in the engine.  If that didn't take care of it, he went out
in the yard at his house, and pulled another used Ford pump out of one
of the Flatheads lying out there, cleaned it up and installed that.  The
rest, he left to the nitromethane.

My friend Dave the Hayseed recently told me the story of the World's
Fastest Ardun, in Don Garlit's Swamp Rat 33 back in '90 at Bonneville.
The whole story will appear in BRN in due course, but for right now I
will mention that the Ardun used no more than a dead stock Flathead car
pan and standard wet sump oiling system.  Dave considers that so
reliable he didn't even bother with a pressure gauge.  And he is still
running the same engine now.

So this means that a stock wet sump system can be very effective.

Nevertheless, I fully realize that there are many schools of thought on
this subject, and certain special applications that do require dry sump.
As previously noted, every American man is an expert on two topics: sex
and lubrication.  Bill