In car Video

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: In car Video
From: "chrispile" <chrispile@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:41:06 -0600
List -
I can't speak for the newer digital video cameras, but the ones with actual
tape have a compressor on the audio to limit the distortion of loud sounds. As
you can imagine, they are pretty cheesy compared to compressors used in
recording studios and live concerts. (I played in rock bands years ago)
Anyway, when the compressor can't take it anymore it bleeds over into the
video - resulting in "white out".
Years ago the drag guys tried in car mounting, and at the hit
of the throttle the tape actually moved away from the recording head. The
result was "snow".
Just my 2 cents worth - Chris Pile AKA aircap