short shifting

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: short shifting
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:44:16 -0600
Dave brought this to my attention early on but it bares repeating....

I was short shifting the Camaro with my Cast Iron D motor because the car
would spin the tires really hard each time I shifted.....   My thoughts were
keep it out of the Hp range.... but after looking at my dyno sheets.... Dave
showed me that I was short shifting right into peek torque.. and each time I
did it shocked the tires.... Hmmm okay so we went out and tried it Dave's
way..... which was raising my shift points by 1200 rpm.... keeping it above
peek torque the whole time....

short shifting netted a 184 entry speed at the 1/4

Raising the shift point.... was 197 and 198. at the 1/4

then he had that same tuning issue... ya know the sniveling bout not being
able to tune a broke motor.....

Keith