Sidewinders Banquet

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sidewinders Banquet
From: "Dana" <dana@goulston.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:51:58 -0800
Hi all,

I'm not much into the "club" thing .... As far as I'm concerned, we're all
in the same club ... the "iwannagoasfastasipossiblycan" club.

That disclaimer being said, I want to share my experience at the 2003 annual
Sidewinders banquet in Los Angeles on 2/23.

The location was the Peterson Auto Museum. Attendees: 450.

The outer apron of the entrance to the museum had several fantastic LS
vehicles including my favorite, Ken Walkey's liner (for sale in BRN). Kan
was proudly hanging around wearing his usual red jacket (matches the car),
and wearing the "I love my car" smile (I loved his car too!). It was the
first time I had a chance to peer inside the hood. SWEET! Very sanitary. I
wish I had the money.

There were some other nice buggies outside, but I can't remember what they
were.

Inside, I hooked up with my buddy and pit-crew member Ray (who will be
making his rookie run this season in Wendy and Doc Jeffries old car). Ray
was with his wife Joy.

The three of us toured the first floor of the museum ogling at all the
terrific cars and bikes. The we saw the line for the elevator. So being the
nice little lemming, I suggested we se what the deal was. As it turned out,
the line was for the "private" tour of the basement where they stored the
rest of the vehicles, and those under restoration.

After 15 minutes, 10 of us crammed into this tiny box and went down into the
bowels of car-heaven. What a collection!!! Lots of famous cars, rare cars,
race cars, and on and on. We spent an hour wandering the murky depths. There
were lots of "docents" around eager to explain details of whatever we were
looking at.

There were about 3-4 LS cars. Nothing spectacular. A few scooters including
a pair of 19-teen something HDs and an old Indian. I couldn't tell which HD
was the parts bike.

Afterwards, we went up to the 3rd floor where they had setup the banquet
area. Lots of tables, most with "reserved" signs. We sat near the back ...
the first available non-reserved tables ... but the closest to the buffet
area (muhahaha).

Some introductions and speeches including a neat talk by Ron Main, owner of
"Flatfire", the world's fastest flathead (which was on display next to the
buffet line with motor out and on a stand). If you haven't seen this liner,
it's a sight to behold. Lots of money went into making a single flathead
motor go 302mph ... and it shows. Beauty!

Dinner was terrific, but some had to wait a very long time in line. Lots and
lots of raffle prizes. Ray won a set of Chevy connecting rods worth $350. He
was happy. Me ... nada. There was even a gift box from one of Nevada's
finest houses of female repute. It included a T-shirt, hat, menu!!!!
(detailed), and a $100 gift certificate YEE-HAA!!! The guy who won it was
sheepishly carrying it out while his wife just kept laughing.

All in all a great time with lots of terrific LS racing folks, friends, pit
crews, sponsors, and family.

The Sidewinders plan on having it there each year from now on.

Dana