Some Rain at Maxton... then LOTS of Rain...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some Rain at Maxton... then LOTS of Rain...
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:45:42 -0600
Well I just walked in the door... and Yep... Cops again play into the Maxton
game plan... only this time they were protecting the racers... from what is
still in question.... ( banquet guards this time to keep the locals out!!! )

Saturday was an awesome day racing...  Rained early... but we dried the
track with a bazillion cars and trucks running back and forth down the
track... ( I suspect some used the opportunity to tune thier mass driving
skills )  anyway we got it dry and got to racing ...

Doug was first out in the Camaro... and putt'ed down the course at 157mph in
a check out pass.... set a record in D/C/GALT...  had a blast and will give
his own reports of the ole junk yard Camaro...

Tonya made a couple of aborted passes.... first one a High Egt light came on
and she shut it off just like I told her too.... I'd set the light pretty
low and was real sure it was just unspent gas in the header that was causing
it... so we went back to make another pass and she actually flooded it and
caught the air cleaner on fire.....  needless to say I've got some fire
extinguisher mess to clean up.... to her credit she wore the battery out
running the starter until we got to her and got the Hood off to put out the
fire....   I had to laugh though.... she was looking at me after we had put
out the fire and asked what she should do.... I simply told her... " Hey
It's on Fire... what do you think ya oughta do.... ahhh does getting out of
the car come to mind? "   She did get the message and egressed the car....

We also had a great awards banquet which was a ball as well...

Mostly with the rain.... lies were flying and as we all know... the First
Liar Never stands a chance when it comes to bench racing....

Personally.... I had about the best time I've ever had there... just another
reminder of why I love this sport ...  it's just surrounded by wonderful
people....

Keith  Ps...
Dick J... Hmmm he was hauling butt last I saw him... with the rain today he
was gone when I got outta bed at 8 am....