the cost of racing???

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: the cost of racing???
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:56:24 -0600
    One of the reasons I had such a great time at Maxton this weekend is that
I think some folks have finally figured out racing doesn't have to be a High
dollar sport...

We had several folks out there with machines they built over the winter that
didn't cost a bunch of money.... as a matter of fact one guy had less in Bike
then I spent in Gas to go there and back.... for real...  the guy built this
Kawasaki 400 out of junk he had available at home...

The best part was that he did the whole thing really well... he built his own
rear sets to move his feet back and did a whole bunch of little trick things
to this scooter to make it go as fast as it could...  He streamlined the gas
tank by installing a dinky little one from somewhere... it didn't match
anything on the bike but it was perfect for the event.. which simply doesn't
require a huge gas tank....  We were hanging out at the starting line and the
guy was checking out the Camaro... he couldn't understand why I thought his
scooter was so cool.... shoot it's easy.... he could just as easily said he
didn't have the money to go racing....but he chose to compete... actually I
think the guy set a record on the thing that Scoot Guthrie had.... so... there
you go...

This thing was really a Maxton only entry and most you folks will never see
it... but just like Dick J.... this guy wasn't out there talking about it...he
was out there racing..

You just have to love a sport where Everybody can compete at some level...

Keith