Maxton trip

To: Land Speed List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Maxton trip
From: Doug Odom <popms@thegrid.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:19:24 -0800
    Keith has been asking me to come down to Fake Rock Alabama for a
couple years now. He told me he would take me to Maxton and let me drive
the girlie car. Well it just so happens that I wanted to go see muscle
motorsports about some parts. So I get up Tues. at 4 in the morning and
drive to lax and fly to Atlanta. Take a rent-a-wreck and drive to fake
rock. Next morning we go to Keith plant and watch em make fake rocks.
Then Keith says he will take me over to the base and go through the air
museum. Now Keith has been telling us he was in the army, but the way
they almost had to strip search us to get on the base I'm not sure he
was in OUR army. Anyway it was way cool to see all the planes and Keith
does know his stuff about them.
    Thursday we were at muscle motorsports most os the day. Large
warehouse just full of new and used real race car parts. Grib is real
helpful and does know what parts fit what. So I got a new seat, used cup
floater rear end and some dry sump pump stuff. Off to Maxton for Friday
set up. Now I get to meet a lot of people that I have only read e-mails
from or about. Keith has a girl friend named Tonya. A nicer  person you
will never meet. The runway has some rough spots but not bad overall. I
don't think I would like to drive it in a car without suspension. Sat.
it started to rain just about the time we were ready to run. The rain
stopped and the sun came out in about an hour. The track dried quickly
with the help of a lot of people driving their cars and trucks up and
down the track for about an hour. Later I took the girlie car down the
track at about 157 mph. And yes I wore that purple driving suit that has
made Keith famous or is it infamous? The car goes very straight and is
easy to drive. The D motor ran good all the way down. I ran as fast as I
wanted to, to feel the car and track out. The track never did feel as
rough as I thought it would. So we moved the seat up for Tonya, I mean
way up. Got the car ready to run for Sunday.
    Woke up sunday to the sound of rain. It got real cold also. Poor
Tonya, I took her seat time saturday and she gets rained out sunday. So
I drove back to Atlanta and flew home. Had a great time, met some really
nice people and got to see the right coast and even learned how to make
fake rocks.  Doug Odom back in big ditch where they don't eat grits.