Re: solid lifters

To: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Subject: Re: solid lifters
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:33:39 -0700
Scott,

With solid lifters you will have some noise. If you don't, then you
should worry! Of course, most of us are not likely to hear any noise
from the valve train in a race car.

How are you doing the adjusting? Two methods I have used are...adjust
the lash of both valves at TDC end of the compression stroke. This is
the simple method. Or find at what point in the rotation that there is
the most clearance and adjust at that point. This is my method of
choice. Cams differ at what point that will be. Maybe the intake will be
adjusted with the exhaust valve in the same cylinder fully open or it
could be just after the intake valve closes. You just have to find that
point by checking after the valve closes and continue to rotate the
engine continually checking through the closed cycle until you find
where it is.

Good Luck!

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC