A composite response

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: A composite response
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 06:15:17 -0400
List

Please feel free to pick out the parts that are either directed to you or
are my answers to questions you are interested in.

Disclaimer: This a UK LSR racer/organisers perspective - whilst we are a
country close to France (little f optional) and currently UK Motorsport and
record breaking is linked to the FIA - I am not answering for Max Moseley
or Bernie Ecclestone.

John B - I nearly found myself agreeing with you but the SCTA/BNI do not
look after the interests of ALL racers that I work with (yet).  The BNI
would only probably only become accepted Internationally as the Authority
when all records attempted are within 1 hour and two way - in other words
clones of FIA procedures - for all racers.  Records set at Speedweek or
World of Speed or ECTA or at El Mirage/Muroc and most at the World Finals
are not to that 'standard' (though with good salt it used to be closer with
two way running).

We are back to the 'problem' that you have hundreds of LSR racers in the US
and one salt flat in use.  The rest of the World has racer numbers in tens
and most countries have no salt flats.  Ofcourse if the SCTA BNI rules
(with a European flavour added) spread beyond just US and Australia, then
acceptance might become more readily to the 'rest' of the world.  But does
the BNI want an International role in the geographical sense at all?

ACCUS - Automobile Competition Committe for the United States, FIA, Inc -
is the organisation to whom the FIA have delegated 'sporting powers' in the
USA.  So if there is an FIA event in the US then ACCUS (perhaps delegating
to further organising clubs or groups) will ensure that all FIA rules are
being observed.  Burdette Martin is the Chairman of the FIA Records
Commission - the committe who ratify FIA International Records.  Various
countries are represented on this committee including UK.  Their role is to
ensure that the reports from those the FIA have accepted as officials at an
FIA authorised speed record attempt are acceptable (quiet the person who
said 'rubber stampers'......)

Dr Mayf - the beauty of UK speed attempts is that if you have a safe car
you can run whatever body style you like.  The only difference from the FIA
classifications and rules is that the UK puts blown engines in with unblown
and fuel is whatever you wish to feed it!  (Nitro, NOS, Alcohol, gasoline,
LPG.... all are run together).  We have UK National timing trap distances
of 1/4 mile and 500 metre for flying starts added to the FIA flying start
mile and kilo.  If your car is as safe as any other SCTA/ECTA etc build
then it would run here in the cubic capacity class for the motor fitted
(and only in that class).  The car will be inspected for safety and after a
succesful attempt the capacity will be checked - its easy to see that the
other rules have been complied with - four wheels, steered by two and power
to two or more and no rocket assistance!

Neil A - the Ferrari 512 made its speed attempt on a 2 mile long flat
airfield main runway (actually the Concorde site of Fairford in
Gloucestershire) so there was 0.5 mile acceleration to the first timing
beam then the mile over which the speed was averaged from two runs and then
0.5 miles to slow down after leaving the second timing beam. Of course this
was repeated on the way back.  No doubt the exit speed was close to the
figures you gave, but no speed trap was installed.  I was not there but
most cars will still be accelerating to the out beam at 1.5 miles from
their take off point.

James - if racers can set FIA (or for others FIM) records within your
meeting (with a Comp Coupe vehicle or whatever) I and they would gladly pay
the extra fee.  Am I correct in understand that the licencing for the
drivers / riders would be as for any other racer (speed build up in
stages)?  In the years to come you may get some British car and bike racers
(with and without streamliners) considering your event for FIA/BNI records.

Bob D - Keith was the great racer who, when I asked for help, loaned "that"
car to Don Wales (of Bluebird fame) for licencing runs at ECTA Maxton in
2001.  Keith had been cussing the car because there had been so much damage
done at Bonneville in the August and this was the late September meeting.
He had to rebuild most of the drive train from front to back of the car.
He and I may differ on our views on World Records but I would not take to
insulting his racecar!  Firesuit color choice is another matter ..... any
change this year Keith or did you sell JB the Corvette paint to get the
attention away from you!  A big plus Bob when you go out with Keith is that
you get the best eating experience in town!

John Goodman - I find the story of Australia astounding once you were there
with the 'officials'.  I guess we are lucky here in the UK for the approved
timekeepers, tech officials (we call them Scrutineers) and FIA Stewards we
have are a small and very professional group.  In tech the scrutineer would
measure the cubic capacity or weigh the whole vehicle, using their own
certified kit because they know what the FIA need to be certain about when
approving a record.  All right we are not operating in the outback but that
should be no excuse.

Wes - the following racers from the USA did care - Howard Nafzger - A-I-5,
Fred Larsen - A-I-8, Bob Herda - A-I-9, Al Teague - A-I-11, Bob Summers -
A-II-11, Mickey Thompson - A-I-10 .......

This list continues to be a great learning experience for me.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.