Re: - black racers

To: wester6935@attbi.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: - black racers
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:33:42 +0000
I'll toss out a name into the ring, let's hear some comments:

                                RAJO JACK

Hint; he raced (mostly I think) in Cally in the thirties and forties...

Any more from our "peanut gallery" ???

Signin' off,-it's your pal,"Dirt Track Doug"
                               ...STILL in exile, in So-New YaWK

                   ---------- oooo -----------

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government."

   -Thomas Paine

                   ---------- oooo -----------

From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>

There's a new book out by Todd Gould ... For Gold and Glory ... sub titled
Charlie Wiggins and the African-American Racing Car Circuit published by the
Indiana University Press.  I just got it at the local library so it has to
be in some limited distribution.  Tells the story of a racing circuit that
was segregated but well known in the mid-western states from the twenties
through the final feature race of the circuit in 1936.  The racers sound
like the hot rodders of the day.  Running on shoestring budgets, driving
older equipment but very good competition.

I just found it and have only read a few pages but it sounds interesting.
I'll pass along a review next week.

                                          Wes Potter in SLC