Re: Cylinder Wall Finishes

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "John Goodman" <ggl205@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Cylinder Wall Finishes
From: "Tom Neimeyer" <tneimeyer@houston.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:32:55 -0500
> Okay.. Basically every engine builder seems to have his favorite style of
> boring then honing a cylinder... what underbore would you start the Honing
> process and what steps would you take to get the optimum finish.  Are
there
> different finishes required for Nitrous or Naturally aspirated Vs say
Turbo
> charged applications.

> > I am not sure where to begin explaining cylinder wall
> > finish. There are some basics that should be
> > understood but from my experience, that which would be
> > covered may bring a maelstrom of comments, each
> > supporting a different way to approach surface finish
> > issues. At best, I can make an empirical case for
> > certain aspects of surface structure. The main problem
> > rests with the perception that optimized surface
> > structure generation is a black art. Hence, the almost
> > infinite number of "better ways" to create them. Keith
> > (and list), if you can give me some direction, I will
> > attempt to explain what I think I know about cylinder
> > wall finish.

John, Dave D. and Anybody Else,
  I would also appreciate a lesson on rings to use with those cylinder wall
finishes.

Something else that would be helpful is knowing more about the limits of
taking an good engine apart, inspecting it and reassembling it.  Say I have
what I think is a good engine, it blows a head gasket and I decide I want to
take it apart and look at everything.  Should I hone the cylinders and put
in new rings?  Can I hone and reuse the rings?  What are the chances of them
resealing?  What about bearings?

Thanks, Tom