LSR Tires

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: LSR Tires
From: Elon Ormsby <ormsby1@llnl.gov>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 14:36:04 -0700
Dick:

I think the issue about using front runners for LSR is HEAT.  A typical
drag tire will NOT be at terminal speed for more than a second or two and
acceleration and braking no more than 15-20 seconds.  With this very short
cycle-time there is simply not enough time to build heat in them.  Compare
to LSR where the time can be rated in minutes and not seconds!  The LSR
tires are designed for that environment.  I have felt LSR tires after a 200
mph run (no heat gun) and they were too hot to hold my hand other than a
brief touch.  Also, my Moroso front runners are two ply.
-Elon