wheel back spacing?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: wheel back spacing?
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:33:28 -0500
I was just out futz'n in the shop...  y'all do this .. ya just call it
something else... like working or something...

Anywho...  I was looking at the back spacing on the Corvette... and the
wheel centers are way out on the outside of the wheel  ...

On the race car my wheel centers are located marginally on the outside of
the wheel by about 2" because I'd acquired 2 sets of Taylor made 18" wheels
with M/T Bville tires on them and that's the way they came...  So when Joe
and I planed the Quick change we simply made the width right with those
wheels...

For the real question... As we design our own cars... would there be a
stability advantage to placing the Wheel centers Way on the outside of the
wheel thereby giving the hub's a greater distance between them?

Or am I playing on the wrong side of the decimal point as Dave would say?

Keith