RE: April Maxton photo site (non-LSR)

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: April Maxton photo site (non-LSR)
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 23:01:07 -0400
At 08:33 AM 5/6/03 -0400, you wrote:

>And yet another thought - with the first hundred yards or so of the lsr
>pavement angled off about 10 degrees --- I've assumed that the "glider"
>would be placed where the lsr start line is, and the airplane set to drag
>said glider would be on the straight part of the runway.  This would reduce
>initial towing load on the tow vehicle when it starts to move (remember your
>geometry here).  By the time the airplane is moving right along and
>accelerating decently the tow line to the glider would be straight and the
>full load would be on the plane.  How'd I do?

 Don,t really know, I served with a SGT (very old SGT)
that wore glider wings, (and jump-wings) while the rest of us
just wore jump-wings, as I understand it the C-47 could tow
one or two gliders depending on loading.  Gliders could also
be picked up on the fly, by a already airborne tow plane.
the only time I was in a glider was during highschool
when I took a ride with a friend who was in ROTC
and flew gliders from the old Wheeler field in Hawaii.
and we used a truck to pull us aloft and we rode the
thermals off the mountains.