Non-LSR-We're fine, thank you

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-LSR-We're fine, thank you
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:08:15 -0400
Yeah, sure, there are lots of newspeople in town today.  It seems that the
100-year old Silver Lake dam, an "earthen" structure that was just
re-licensed last year, gave way to the big batcha water that recent heavy
rains (3" last weekend) brought.  And so the water meandered down the Dead
River to the Hoist dam, which is one of those long dams that sorta goes
cross-wise to the river.  The power company that runs the dam opened the
gates, as it were, but water still spilled over the top.  And so on down the
thirty or forty miles downstream (as the creek goes) to where it dumps into
Lake Superior.

There's lots of water in the front yard of those fancy riverfront houses,
and the power plant is only three feet above lake level so might get
dampened.  One bridge is underwater, the other is damn close to that.

And Bill, one of the guys that works for me, lives on the other side of the
river (about thirty miles up in the woods the other side).  He left here
yesterday afternoon in the old 4x4 pickup and tood woods roads 'way back and
beyond and got home safely, eventually.  He sure seemed excited by the
prospect of having to drive home that way -- muttered something about it
being a trip "at least 2 twelve packs" long.

We live about twenty miles SOUTH of town.  All we've got is swamp around
us -- this is where floods originate, not destinate.  All's fine at home.

We'll be leaving for Maxton next Tuesday morning.  Come see the first runs
of the bikes with freshly-applied pixie dust.

Jon and Nancy
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing