Wickerbill/Gurney flap

To: "land speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wickerbill/Gurney flap
From: "Dan" <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:06:56 -0700
Wicker used in several different series (including CART) as a sort
of "trim-tab", to help fine-tune the front and rear wing downforce.

Gurney Flaps (if I remember correctly) originated as a device MANDATED
by CART to control speeds
*******************************
Russ,

Your definition of the wickerbill (I don't know where the name came from) is
correct as far as I know. I was always under the
 impression that this aero device was first used by Dan Gurney, hence the name
of Gurney flap. This was in the early to mid 70s at the speedway.

The device you refer to as a Gurney flap I think is called a Hanford device.
Designed by aerodynamicist Mark Hanford to slow later model CART cars on
superspeedways. I think this device was invented when CART started to run 240
MPH laps at California Speedway a few years ago. It is now used at California
and Michigan and maybe other tracks as well.

I may have miscalled these aero devices in the rulebook. I will do the
research for next year's book and have them properly identified.

We used wickerbill type strips on the back of Rich Manchen's Alfa with some
success. By using the proper height of alum angle we could lay the spoiler
flat and still experience downforce and stability in car control.

Dan Warner