Re: ice racing

To: "dpulju" <dpulju@usintouch.com>,
Subject: Re: ice racing
From: "Jonathan Amo" <webmaster@landracing.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 01:17:51 -0600
Dale,

If you remember history, Henry Ford did that setting a record in Jan 13th
1904 on the Frozen lakes of Michigan at 91.369 mph. If I recall a printed
statement he made, "...that was the stupidest thing I ever did..."...
He did that with an inline 4 cylinder  that displaced around 16,708 cc's
with a whoping 72 horsepower. He did it with no streamlining. no gears and
no clutch. Just a direct drive system.
The french never recognized his record acheivements, but as the history
books tell us the record only lasted 2 weeks because on Jan 28 Vanderbuilt
took the record from Ford at 92.299 mph. Vanderbuilts (who was a
millionaire )car had a piston displacement of 8,700 cc's and had 90hp, using
4 speeds, magneto ignition and was chain driven. He was first to use Daytona
as a racecourse. During his speed runs his mechanic rode with him.

Our guy, you know, the Henry Ford guy, he also revolutionized the 8 hour
work day, and was first to implement mass-production, thus the Model T.

Jonathan Amo