Re: GM Mesa Proving Grounds turns 50

To: Tom Shannon <saltfevr@xmission.com>
Subject: Re: GM Mesa Proving Grounds turns 50
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 21:26:53 -0700
Tom;
Several of my friends are engineers at GM so I have been very
lucky to have access to the proving grounds. I have been
fortunate in that they have allowed me to drive the test
tracks (including the Big O) at speed. For many years, my
Corvette club got a sneak preview of "Corvettes to come", some
many years in advance. That stopped with the current GM
management which guards the C6 like it was a new Stealth
bomber.(although I have seen the new in-block twin-cam motor
(not sure I was supposed to) One of the great periods was in
the late 80's when they were developing the ZR-1. I got to
drive the only ZR-1 Roadster they built, and it had an
automatic transmission. Neither worked, so they scrapped both
ideas (and the car) The Lotus engineers were really a kick! I
could hardly understand them talk, but they could sure clean
out a beer cooler quick! I live less than 10 miles from GM's
front gate so I see a lot of their test cars running around.
'Course all the major mfg's test here because of the heat in
the summer, and mild temps in the winter. And don't laugh
about the Caddie XLR!!! We were at the 50th Ann. party and
they had one there and Linda has to have one when they come
out!!! I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to shoot myself......
Ed