FW: Special construction vs. production

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Special construction vs. production
From: "Dana" <dana@goulston.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:14:28 -0700
Glenn,

You might want to start thinking about going from Prod. to Modified (you run
in Modified at Bonneville and SC at the Lakes and Maxton) as a next step.

You have to do some work to get the bike ready and it probably won't be
street legal, but it's a nice moderately priced way to make a real race bike
without the big bucks, and still use your individual creativity. If you can
weld ... bonus! Got a machine shop ... even better.

Here's the things you need to do:
safety wire axle nuts and pinch bolts
add a damper (you can find some on eBay for under $100)
make sure the bike isn't over 36" off the ground in the back (may need to
remove the grab rail)
metal valve stems and caps
make a number plate set
wire in a kill-switch/lanyard

The rest of the stuff is easy:
tape headlight
remove turn signals
remove passenger pegs
remove mirrors

Easy go-faster stuff:
new exhaust system/pipes
remove the air box
re-jet the carbs
lower the bike wherever possible
make a low profile tank ... you get the drift

Piece-O-cake ... Now you have a modified bike and you can start thinking
about giving your swazall a workout.

Dana