Tire testing

To: "Land-Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Tire testing
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 10:26:46 -0400
    If you can get a letter from a manufacture recommending a tire to a
certain speed the SCTA will review and most likely accept such tire to that
speed. Problem is with all the legal BS that goes on in this country
now-a-days your not likely to get any tire company to give you any such
letter. Ever see the paper work that goes along with the Mickey Thompson LSR
tires?

    Perhaps it would be prudent, considering the lack of available LSR
tires, for all the associations (SCTA/USFRA/ECTA) to get together for some
type of tire testing that would attempt to fill the gap. Beg or borrow the
Burkland's or Law's tire tester. If they don't already have one design in a
load wheel for the test and see what works and what doesn't.

    Goodyear tires have worked extremely well for me over the years, but I
have chucked rubber off some drag front runner's at speed, so their not
perfect, and don't always come in the size I want. Front runners also are
definitely NOT a preferred Maxton tire. Plenty safe for the speed, but won't
hold up to the abrasion of the concrete...only last about one meet if your
hard coming off the line.

    Have also discovered, with our 230+ MPH bike rides at Maxton, that some
of the "allowed" bike tires are not as good as some of the "Z" rated tires.
Also some different brands seem to be better than others.

    JB, #79