Headin' South

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Headin' South
From: "Dana" <dana@goulston.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:37:37 -0700
HI all,

Scooter's loaded up, the Exploder's packed, and heading South to the great
dirt slab in the desert.

Although this is the backup bike, and mostly stock, I do have some data to
collect.

I plan on recording indicated speed and RPM vs. recorded speed (timing slip)
to see the % loss due to tire slippage. If I get a chance to make a 2nd pass
(you folks on the right coast have it made), I'll add some ballast (big
burrito lunch) and see if weight makes a difference.

My theory is that tire slippage is a percent of tire speed. My friend and
machine-shop sponsor Irv thinks once slippage occurs, that's it regardless
of how much HP you have (c/f issues). I think the tire continues to hook-up
and break away over and over again (very quickly) as the rough surface comes
into contact with various parts of the rubber ... grooves and tread, bumps
and ruts, etc. Who knows.

Later,

Dana