Chaparral I Design

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chaparral I Design
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:19:35 -0500
List;

Just a tidbit of info-- I was at the Art Center College of Design in
Pasadena last weekend for a car show and attended a session titled
"Designing For Speed" there-- among other things; it was some weekend! The
presenters were Pete Brock (Corvette Sting Ray, Cobra Daytona Coupe) and
Chuck Pelly (Scarab, Chaparral) and they were very interesting. The thing
that caught my attention was Pelly's comment about his design of the
Chaparral I being influenced by Bonneville cars.

See:
http://www.theautochannel.com/publications/magazines/sci/dec-jan-98/pg80.fra
me

Later in the afternoon, I had a chance to ask him about that. He said that
they didn't know much about aerodynamics then but it was apparent that, as
the race cars got faster, it was becoming something that needed attention.
Pelly said that he had been to Bonneville and knew some of the streamliners
were obviously good at high speed and looked attractive, so he tried to use
as much of that body shape as he could in the Chaparral I.

So, you see--- salt racers even influenced the design of one of the most
significant road racing cars of all time!

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ