Re: funny car seating

To: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>
Subject: Re: funny car seating
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:58:55 -0700
Scott,

I share the nostalgia and understand your desire, but just a word of
caution...Moving weight toward the rear for traction can be to your
disadvantage. When I built my Comp Coupe, I had your mind set. I set the
engine back as far as reasonable and then found out, the hard way, that
I had a very unbalanced car. It required 500 pounds of added weight to
bring the center of gravity forward of the center of pressure. Although
the car still was losing traction, this adjustment allowed the car to be
controllable.

Since then, along with adding a spoiler and some other modifications, I
moved the engine forward six inches and now have a car that handles very
well, with no major traction problems, and carries no added weight. The
car has not been on the scales since the modifications so I don't know
what the weight distribution is, but up to this point, it is not an issue.

It is easier to build it right from the beginning than it is to change
it later.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC