Re: ignition timing

To: Terry Hunt <guambomb743@msn.com>
Subject: Re: ignition timing
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:22:30 -0400
That comes from runnng too much timing in the lower gears. For this to work it
would have to make more power on the dyno with less timing. If it makes more
power retarded why would you advance it is the question. I would really suspect
most engines if run on a dyno are run at a high acceleration rate, either 600 or
1000 rpm per secon, most people get nervous standing there watching their engine
at WOT for more than a few seconds. A dyno pull like that will encourage you to
add a few degrees of timing as the power will go up slightly. If you ran the
engine at 100 rpm per second the timing will have to come back out again. The
only other reason i can think of is a poorly designed cooling system that is not
pressurized or is at a low pressure. Steam pockets can develop and local hot
spots can and will cause detonation.. Taking timing out will help that.
Dave