Re: Motor Baseline

To: saltracer@servusa.com
Subject: Re: Motor Baseline
From: Flowbench@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:03:31 EDT
saltracer@servusa.com writes:

<< please tell me some specifics about your engine. Basic cam, heads,
 boost levels etc. Trying to get a baseline for a 258", 304" or 355" turbo >>

Lots of different combos here bit I will try to highlight "low buck" doable
combos. 304" @850-950 HP (and still has record) can be built with a std. 4 bolt
block, factory or Cola / Scat type crank, I do use good rods Carrillo or
Oliver etc. Chevy, Brodex or Dart alloy 23 degree heads, std. single plane
intake
manifold, 2 T04 type turbos, and 2 holley carbs. You need a chargeair cooler
but "only" about 18-20 lbs. of boost. This still holds a record in D/BGMS @ 242
mph

My 368" 300 mph 1400 hp engine was a well used bowtie Chevrolet block that
ran in the SCCA Trans-Am series during the '88-'89 season. Cola 3.450 stroke
crank, Carrillo rods (same ones used in the above engine, and they were out of
BUSCH GN engine from the late '80's before that), I run ~10.0:1 compression in
my turbo motors. Hilborn injection manifold although a tunnel ram or
fabricated intake works well too. This engine used 220 Dart 23 degree heads
because
that was all I had (they were WELL used and as a matter of fact the reason we
wont be at speedweek is because one of the weld repairs failed on the dyno and
filled the engine with water) Cam spec.s are different for the draw thru carb
set up but it was around 262-258 on 112, the cam in the injected engine is
268-274 on 114. As Dave has said in the past build a good durable N/A motor and
put a little density to it. Anything you can do that helps your motor flow air
and make power N/A will help your tubro motor. That old tale of it just blows
it in, you don't need to port them is BS in my book. This engine runs 18 lbs.
of boost on gasoline, the turbos flow about 70lbs. of air per minute each. Both
engines were dry sumped (same pump for both engines used from a BUSCH GN
engine) I've run timing chains or belt drives, easier to change or adjust cams
with the belt drive. Bearing clearance .003 & 20w/50 oil. I'm sure theres more
but I'll let this sit and answer more as time allows. I will be @ Bonneville
with Seth Hammonds team if you want more information.
Mike