TC Opinion

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: TC Opinion
From: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:10:05 -0500
List,
It occurs to me that a significant amount of time has again been spent on
arguing for TC. It also occurs to me that if an equivilent amount of time
was spent on figuring out how to configure the vehicle to run with minimal
(or ideal) wheel spin, there would be no need for an automatic system.
After all the goal for TC seems to be to replace ineffective driving skills
and poor vehicle system design/development/control techniques.

Try thinking outside the box for crying out loud.

There are a whole bunch of system adjustments that can be made to control
torque to the rear wheels.  A few are ignition timing, cam torque
characteristics, boost control (manual or preset), gear ratios in
transmissions and final drive. Training the driver (part of "the system")
to use the system to his/her best advantage through throttle control with
the foot (or hand in the case of motorcycles). Throttle detents (or
progressive linkage) could be used for power level control, for instance.
Heck, short shifting might even help in certain instances.
There are ways of managing the aero shape and vehicle weight to help
accomplish matching the friction coefficient and tire traction....aero
downforce and weight distribution for a couple.

Drag racers control their systems without automatic traction control so why
can't salt racers? It's the same problem.......exactly!

I don't think that anybody outside a few special construction car owners
have seriously tried very hard to do the above.

So when and if it becomes clear that all that can be done without traction
control, has been done to maximize the match between power and traction,
then and only then should automatic traction control be considered. And
then extensive system definition criteria must be applied for safety
considerations.

Skip (Now in Pahrump and just maybe the heat is getting to me.......but I
doubt it)

Yell at me if you like but please consider the above.