Re: What I learned /Wicker bills

To: "Pope, Jeff" <jeff.pope@boeing.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What I learned /Wicker bills
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:04:22 -0500
it's also known as a gurney strip.... just a piece of metal set
perpendicular to an airfoil to spoil lift created by the airfoil... in this
case a spoiler that's intended to provide negative lift or downforce...

The concern I had was that we had decided to accept the car " As Ran "
rather then make the changes to the Ballast and so on.... in other words...
let it prove it needs a change prior to making it... and Dave did just
that... we ran 215 with about 3.5" sticking up off the top of the
spoiler.( the strips were in two sections so we only removed one the first
pass and then after we set the record at 234 we removed the second one )...
it was Dave's opinion that the Wicker bills were causing unwanted drag on
the back of the car...  he was right and I knew that.... my preference was
to run the car with them again because it was so dang hooked up I felt the
next pass was going to be over the record anyway....  I went through quite
of bit of thought to come up with my answer of letting Dave do what he knows
will work and simply making it happen.... if the car lost it's handling we
could always put them back on....   Needless to say it worked perfectly and
the car was only marginally loose...  and the funny thing is that the course
was loose not the car.... on the last run the car was flawless at over
249mph.... Can't wait till next year..

K.