My Speedweek 2003... -grateful, very grateful

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: My Speedweek 2003... -grateful, very grateful
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:32:18 +0000
Hi all....

I'll try to keep this short.  but like Keith Turk,   I've a lot to say.
You see it's been five long years since I was financially and employment
able to return to our Bonneville.

'98 was my last one.  In 1998 there was no way I was going to miss the 50th
anniversary;  I planned a long, long  time to make darn sure I had
everything I needed and it would fit in the miniscule trunk and on the
passenger seat of m' channeled A bone coupe Boogie Woogie.    Space was so
tight I brought 2 collapsible tent poles attached under the car with bungee
cords!    Used'em with a tarp to build a lean-to (attached to BW's front
wishbone radius rods and rear axle) each night as I stayed at KOA's across
our great land   I managed to visit 3 great museums and Rocky Mountains
National Park in Colorado whilst enjoying the trip.  I had a ball and
covered 5600 miles doing it

I couldn't hardly wait to get back   I'll tell you!   And like I said, it's
been five long years

So, I'm here to tell you that Bonneville 2003 was even more special even to
ME than it was to our good friend, K T.

No foolin'    -and that's said without attempting to take anything
what-so-ever away from his great achievement ( yeah Keith, who WAS that
that took your grinnin' foetoe at the 2 club banquet anyway, ???  LOL !  )

This time I brought along, Larry Saltsman, a fellow NYS rodder ,tagging
along with me,  -and Boogie Woogie pulled a trailer to boot.   How else to
bring the new minibike ?   Pit transportation.   Knew I was gonna need it.
  Worked to get it built all last year.   And hey, with a trailer we can
live high on the hog!    Even bring a tent!   KOA's!  De-Luxe livin'!  Now
  NY to the salt is a fair piece, requiring commitment and a 4-5 day ride
each way, with all the costs associated with it.   So it is not something I
can take lightly.   Commitment.    In fact I raided my retirement to do
the trip at all this time.   And blew about $1800 2000 to be a spectator.
    Money WELL spent if you ask me.   But it's been really tough to be able
to do it alt all; you see, the last decade and a half have not been very
kind to this child,  trained in welding & fabrication, machining, auto
mechanics et al.  All skills gleefully exported offshore in droves these
days I'm sorry to say.    It seems that anyone who can actually DO SOMETHING
in America is OB-SO-lete these days     Dinosaurs.     But I digress.

Hey!     we were talking about Speedweek  2003.        Let's.

I just know I will not be able to mention all of the LSR listers   -most met
for the first time in person,  -but I will try.  Most, but not all at the
Amos fine roads end gathering I was proud as punch to drive up in Boogie
Woogie to the Salt talks  after another 2400 mile effortless jaunt.

Let's see; I met most the regular  list troublemakers;  Wes Potter,  Keith
Turk & Tonya,  Dahlgren,  Glenn Barrett  ( a special thanks for that timing
stand invitation Glenn !!!   I sure enjoyed it!  ),   Mayf,  Tom Bryant,
Tom Shannon,  the Amos,  Ed Van Scoy,  Doug Odom,  Russ Meeks & Lona,  Neil
Albaugh,  JD Tone,  The Wennerbergs,  Rick Yacoucci, Land Speed Louise,
Katie Young Cortez,  -I just know there's more as well.   But I'm having
brain fade,

.and salt withdrawal.

I honestly think that even though I'm a racer at heart  (and in past
experiences) I am just as happy flitting about here and there enjoying the
visiting with as many racers as I can manage for the whole thing  and  I
always enjoy visiting with m' friend Bill Burke ( yes THAT Bill
Burke,.father of the belly-tank lakester,  85 years young going on 19, and
has not missed  Speedweek yet -as a competitor.   A 2 club member for 43
years, Bill is THE only racer who can lay that claim by the way.   THAT to
me, is truly amazing  He has built and raced 24 cars in that 55 years  not
even counting those built for others)

Let's see,.. my fondest memories this time.  How about Russ Meeks getting
his record with a GMC fire truck motor at 160 & change, in a car he built
almost every part of by his own mind and hands,over a period of thirty
years or more....  Then having a heart attack, -and then re-appearing a
couple days later  seemingly in better health than ever ?     WOW

-and being greeted immediately upon arrival on the salt Friday the 15th by
good friends Dan Hostetter and Mike Bishop   just like I had seen them just
yesterday and not FIVE long years ago,  That's friendship.    Cool.

-and how about that Salt Talks ?  that too was way cool, meeting all the
heretofore  faceless personalities of the LSR list.

( BTW: a quick suggestion for you LSR list members:  I was so sure no-one
would know me I made a nametag to wear,  but I was frustrated to see that
no-one else there had one!    Urg.   So I had to lean hard on good ol' Wes
Potter to introduce me to some of you  -but I m sure I missed many others.
    So how about next time,.. everyone bring your own nametags,  -or perhaps
simply have a stack of stickum labels and a sharpie available ????  -Just a
though fellows and gals)

-and hey, how about that HOP UP Magazine kooler tent ? where all sorts of
hairy leggeds could gather and while away the afternoon masticating their
favorite subject of rusty trusty old Fords.   HOP UP has renewed the 100 MPH
club as well. open to flathead banger powered rides only thankya very
much.  Just ask our Rich Foxhe's the first inductee   :-)   THAT to me,
is REAL Hot Rodding at it's most pure and basic.   COOL indeed.  Sure wish I
could build a banger !  Too bad BNI dosen't allow them to run at Bonneville.
    I don't understand why...

-A visit to the timing trailer ?  Wow.  Way cool to see it all unfold.
Bitchin'.

-and the Inliners   what's more to say,?  Those guys have more fun with
less   than most others.  Our friends Russ Meeks, Ray Hedstrom, Gary Wise,
JD Tone, Katie Young Cortez, Gary Cope  are all "inliners"!     too fun!

-and the 2 club dinner ?    WOW     If you have not attended, you should.
It's the essence of what we do.  I met and talked with more heroes this
year, I can't hardly relate them all right now.    I'll just have to wait
for my photographic development to remember them all   I do remember
conversing with Jim Deist, Earl Wooden, Roy Fjastad,  Ed Iskenderian, Dick
Landy,  and Lou Senter -to mention a few.

-and how about the photo session with friend Russ Meeks & Gene Winfield, &
our cars Thursday morning -that too was way fun, and become a special
memory as well.   Can't hardly wait for the pictures !

these are just some of my Bonneville 2003 memories

-and that doesn't even cover our visits to the Auburn-Cord-Dusenberg museum,
The Indy 500 Museum,  The Sprint Car Hall of Fame and Speedy Bill's awesome
museum in Lincoln,  the pony express sites along the way,  -or my side trip
adventures in trailer tongue repair, bent axles, blown tires and new
vehicle (trailer) purchases  in Laramie returning to the wrong coast.
Gawd,..   I can't hardly wait until next year!  BW ran like the champ she is
more than we can say for the towed equipment that's for sure.  4830 miles
this time.  334 gallons of gasoline, and three quarts of oil

Ah, Bonneville memories...

                                  That's why we are alive isn't it ?

God bless you all,  signin' off,  -it's your pal,"Dirt Track Doug"     BACK
in New Yawk...   :-(