RE: rear steer/bsa

To: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Subject: RE: rear steer/bsa
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:44:48 -0500
         yeah 14-1 compression,  I had to remove the kickstarter,  first,
it bent and cracked the 5/8 shaft from trying to start it, second, the
lowered frame put the lever almost on the ground when kicked through,
third, I'm too old to hobble myself kicking on the thing, did that the
first year I had it, 1984, wore a brace on my knee for 4 months 'cause the
knee bent backwards when it backfired.  had ignition troubles( bad battery
from vibration, what,Victors vibrate?) and spent a lot of time kicking last
year, that gets REAL OLD FAST!!!
         So I'm using a 10hp B&S (brand new!) spinning a garden tractor
tire via belt drive to spin the rear wheel. the starter motor is bigger
than the bsa engine! something wrong with that somehow........maybe I
should use the B&S for the bike huh? (big grin here)
       the exhaust length is set at 9000 right now, its' a slide adjustable
length down to ( I think these are the length/rpms I figured out) 7000, (21
inches to 26 inches long). last years exhaust was way too long, 36 inches
and the rpm stopped at 6400 in 4th gear, shifting at 8500 without a problem
until top gear....
      built an english wheel and did a dome in the seat for carb clearance,
about 4 inches dia X 1 1/2 high, for my first project with it, and it don't
look too bad actually, ( somebody once described my work on the bike as
functional and crude, at first I took offence, but on reflection am proud
of it ) . gonna do the rest of the fairing in aluminium.... to look kinda
like charlies toy, but with my take on aero .....