re: rear steer

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: re: rear steer
From: Bob B <saltracer@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:37:26 -0700
I have watched this thread and it seems to be a guessing  game so now we have
something I can do -- guess.  40+ years ago I drove a fork lift that could
carry 10 tons and we used to run around the property at up to about 30 mph.  It
had the steering wheels grouped in the rear center.  Although the steering
feeling is much different it is one that becomes natural.  It used to drive
nicer when the front was loaded.  I think probably the light steer wheels took
some of the twitch out of it.  So ( just guessing ) if I was going to try it
with a streamliner, I would ( remember we are out of the box here) use front
wheel drive with the majority of the weight on the front, two inline steering
tires in the rear with a fixed vertical aero fin in the back.   I'm back to my
milk and cookies now.  As an added note I crewed at WOS and we got three
records.  Lots of fun.

Bob from Canada