Re: rear suspention rotation

To: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear suspention rotation
From: Sparky <wmtsmith@landracing.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 6:38:53 -0500
John,  I don't understand how ring gear torque is going to be countered by an
arm that is paralell to the drive shaft without it transfering it to the
chassis where ever it is attached--This rotation is going to have to be
countered somehow--usually with sway bars--I am preloading my right rear--I am
like Dave pls. give us some way to compute--

PS I am not an "engineer" I need it simple for my country boy mind to understand

> From: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
> Date: 2003/10/12 Sun PM 02:38:45 CDT
> To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
> Subject: rear suspention
>
> Most cars with sprung rears have one or both of these problems . (1) Too much
> rear roll stiffness (to overcome the effects of drive shaft torque) or (2)
> unequal rear wheel loading under acceleration (due to drive shaft torque) .
> Both problems make a car more spin prone . Normally the remedy for oversteer
> is add front roll stiffness or reduce it in the rear , not easy when rear roll
> needs to be high . Independent rear suspension is one solution . A simpler fix
> ; use a single torque arm a little to the right of the drive shaft .The offset
> needs to be the torque arm length divided by the ring & pinion ratio . With
> this design the torque arm exactly cancels the undesirable effects of drive
> shaft torque , wheel loading stays equal under acceleration or deceleration
> and roll stiffness can be as desired . The only drawback is  wheel loading is
> unequal under braking . Only the torque arm should resist axel torque (single
> link on each side) and only the single links should locate the rear front to
> rear . The front of the torque arm  needs to be free front to rear (slot or
> vertical link) so there is no torque arm arc to fight with the side link arcs
> . Hope my description is clear enough . John

  "Sparky"
Lakester 2211