World Finals

To: Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: World Finals
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:54:37 -0700

For those interested, I copied this report from the SCTA/BNI Web Site.

Tom, Redding - #216 D/CC

World Finals Report  11am-10-8-03

I just talked to Roy Creel who left yesterday to go to Wendover. He was
on the salt and the following is his report followed by a consensus
opinion of the BNI board on our course of action.

The event is on! There is standing water along the SpeedWeek long course
return road from about the starting line to the far edge of the pits.
The starting line has water.

One option we had was to move the course down aprox. = to 1 mile and
have the course re surveyed for the extra length. That option was iffy
because we do not know were the water will move to next.

Another option was to abandon the long course and extend the short
course another 2 miles. That option is iffy because that course
generally heads for the State dike and could pose a problem for a 3-400
mph vehicle.

The option we choose was to move the course to start around the Saldero
loop dike (a completely new course) and run generally toward our
existing (SpeedWeek) 7 mile. This area is bone dry and in the event of
any (the R word) it would be the least effected if at all.

We have put in place the means to get this done well before the
scheduled start of the event.

We are asking that those WORKERS that were planning on arriving on
Saturday (11th) and starting work on Sunday to try and arrive as early
as your schedule will allow on Saturday in order to try and get some
work done then.

We have some folks that are leaving in time to get there about Friday
noon and get a good part of the course layout done so we can start
dragging on Saturday.( Callaway, Warnock, Reynolds, Sager, Saferick) and
Creel already there.

The surveyor is lined up to be there at 8am on Monday.

As for the results of the fire in our Wendover storage container and
what has been done to rectify that. Fortunately we did not have every
thing we own in the one container.

We lost aprox. 50% of our cones. George Callaway is bringing the El
Mirage cones which will be more than enough.

We lost > of our Fire Extinguishers and Creel has ordered new one that
will be delivered to Wendover.

We lost perhaps all of our wire (we won't know for sure until we bring
it back and unwind it to know). There might be 3 or 4 out of 17 that
might have some good wire left.

Utah Salt Flats Racers have agreed to loan us their wire and even help
us put it down. They will bring it out from Salt Lake on Monday
(13th)**** Thanks USFRA

  Our original intensions were to run 2 courses.  As a result of all
this we have opted to run only one course. Long and Short will be on the
same.

Other than that everything is Peachy.

So lets go racing!! Mike Waters  PS: please pass this on to interested
folks that are not on my E- List