Re: data logging systems

To: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: data logging systems
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:00:33 -0400
The data acq system that needs a laptop is a joke at best. Someone is using lab
equipment in place that it does not belong. You can by the way use a solid state
disk drive for storage but they are very pricey, I have one on a cnc because it
vibrates and will kill a normal hard drive in short order.

There are many systems out there and it all boils down to money and features for
the most part.
The Edelbrock Quick data system is very good for the money but lacks math
capability to the data stream and has no 'dash' feature so the driver knows what
is going on like they would actually look anyway. the best thing for the driver
for the most part is a big light that says shut off the engine now or bring it
to the pit area and lets have a look other than a shift light as well.

The Motec system is very nice and has about every bell and whistle available but
hold on to your wallet around 18k nicely equipted...
the EFI tech one is much less money 3k but needs their ECU to run and that is
very pricey.
I am looking into selling a mid priced system from a company in upstate NY
called CDS they have nice stuff and don't seem too outrageous in money.
For anything worth while you really need to start at around 2 to 3k and have the
ability to expand from there.
I have toyed around with selling one i design but there are not enough hours
currently to do that either.
The most important thing to do is to stay away from anything that is proprietary
or the tech guys hard to reach. I know of several but will not throw any stones
at them today..
Dave