Re: Steam power

To: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steam power
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:12:09 -0700
At Rocky Mountain National Park / Estes Park, CO they used steam power at
the start of last century to take guests over the 12,000 foot summit.
There's a museum there and a hotel the Stanley brothers built.  They are
credited with pioneering auto tourism as early as 1903.  The steam cars were
about the only ones with sufficient power to take the long drive to the
summit.  I'm sure they sold many cars based on having the capability to make
that drive.

A fuel injected car sure makes that trip much easier today.  I was grateful
for hydraulic brakes too.  I can't imagine what they would have done with
mechanical brakes if they were very much out of adjustment.

A superficial search doesn't give me much on the early transportation.  Jon
Amo, have you been up there or do you have information on the area?

Wes