GM front disc brake question

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: GM front disc brake question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:53:39 -0800 (PST)
The Ford beam axle I bought at a swap meet has a set of (early-mid 80s??) GM
disc brakes adapted.  My concern is that even though they appear to be a
matched set, the discs themselves are slightly different.  One disc is a one
piece unit with the five lug studs mounted in holes in the top of the rotor.
The other one, however, has a hat on top of the rotor, and the lug studs are
mounted through this hat, which in turn in mounted to the rotor.  All of the
overall measurements are the same, it's just the different construciton and
assembly that concerns me.  My guess is that one rotor is probably a Chevy, and
the other is a Pontiac or Olds, or Buick or something and that they are listed
as interchangeable.  Anybody got any idea what I have here, and if I should run
as is or change one or the other to make the two rotors identical?

Dick J in East Texas