Measurement of Aero lift (#2)

To: "LSR submissions" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Measurement of Aero lift (#2)
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:06:05 -0800
Number 2 may be the most accurate approach and fraught with less  variables.
There are two predictable characteristics that can be mapped about your
tires. (1)is the change in shape due to centrifugal force and, (2)is the
change in FOOT PRINT due to LOAD. I don't necessarily mean the tire patch on
the salt but the bulge at the bottom of the tire. I don't know the weight of
your car and I don't know the N2 pressure you use. However, I imagine there
is a small foot print (even with 75 psi). It may not be discernable by eye,
but it surely would be by a sensor. Obviously, the footprint will become
smaller as you approach aero lift. A measuring laser or some other
non-contact sensor could be used to monitor tire size changes and trigger
the necessary output.  (See links)

Measurement for growth, by centrifugal force, can be easily done on a spin
tester and mapped into a look-up table.  The foot print dimensional change
can be done statically with a floor jack. Your sensor set-up would be used
in both situations for calibration. I think all the elements are there. The
most difficult part is how you interpret the information and apply it to
your unique vehicle.   -Elon

 <http://www.tokyokeiso.co.jp/english/technology-e/tech_level/l-0001/>
http://www.tokyokeiso.co.jp/english/technology-e/tech_level/l-0001/

They make a non-contact liquid level sensor.

 <http://www.krohne.com/html/dlc/HB_LEVELRADAR_e_72.pdf>
http://www.krohne.com/html/dlc/HB_LEVELRADAR_e_72.pdf

Fundamentals of using radar technology for non-contact measurement.

 <http://www.automationsensors.com/frames/indexUSsel.html>
http://www.automationsensors.com/frames/indexUSsel.html

Ultrasonic sensing solutions for solids, liquids, etc. Various distances

from less than 1 ft to greater than 20 ft.

 <http://www.rosemount.com/products/level/3300tdr.html>
http://www.rosemount.com/products/level/3300tdr.html

Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR). Uses a reflected pulse for measurement.

 <http://www.andinst.com/dairy-level-products.php>
http://www.andinst.com/dairy-level-products.php

Anderson is a quality company.  Read about the different instruments.