Re: Corvette Question

To: Gary LaRonge <saltracer552@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Corvette Question
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 12:06:44 -0700
Gary,
In a quick word.......no. It is not a direct bolt-in. My '85
Vette (#128) was originally an automatic. The running gear in
it now is a ZF 6-speed (I use 5th as my final gear) came out
of a wrecked 1989 Vette. It can be bolted to an older SBC but
the clutch & flywheel are unique to the ZF. The stock clutch
is a dual-mass, and the flywheel has 6 "stands" to support the
disks and floaters. (you can change to single-mass, triple
mass, whatever)  The bell-housing is unique to that combo
also, and there are 2 types, 89-92 & 93-95. The later
bellhousing will bolt up to an "early" block by drilling holes
for the index pins on the block through the housing to match
up with the block. The early bellhousing bolts right up (hole
are already there) but need a 3/16" spacer at the top to keep
it square.  a hydraulic clutch is standard, and there is a
mounting flange on the bellhousing to bolt up the slave
cylinder (although I relocated mine) and there is a
half-dollar size hole in the side to route the braided
hydraulic lines to the T/O bearing. The T/O bearing bolts to
the rear face of the bellhousing. If you are looking to use
this combo on a Corvette, if it is an automatic (like mine
was) it came stock with a Dana 36 & the driveshaft won't fit
due to the differences in tranny length. You want to use a
Dana 44 anyway, so DS has to be matched for length. If you use
this combo on a car other than a Vette, I don't know if the
I-Beam that ties the tranny to the rear-end can be deleted
without causing problems. Every hot rod that I have seen has
retained the beam, and looking at it from a structural point
of view, I would want to keep it in place. 'Course if you are
not using the Vette IRS, the beam would not be used either.
This is the Reader's Digest version - there is not a lot of
drama in this conversion, just a bit more than a quick
bolt-up. If you want pictures, let me know, I have several
different types of clutches out in the shop.
Ed