International Speed Question

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: International Speed Question
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:57:54 -0500
Louise and List

In the August 2003 Fast Facts (from the Speed Record Club) was an article
by Arie Bras on the NSU cars and bikes up to 1956.  The next issue (due out
soon) is the second part of the story and should cover the era you have
asked about.

After 1965 there cannot have been many 500cc attempts at over 220 mph (for
mile and kilo) and there is a clue that Nick Mays made a flying start mile
speed record in the same class (A - 1 - 3)  at 179 mph in October 1987 at
Bonneville (I guess at the World Finals).  So this 220 mph is quite a
modern record, if indeed it is listed in the correct place on the FIA list.
 Someone should have heard about it and the FIA should have the data.

Does anyone know about or recall the Mays effort, sounds a British name but
again probably a US racer?

All I can confirm is that the 220+ mph speed was not set in the UK!  If it
had been it would be the outright National British wheeldriven speed
record.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.