RE: front wheel drive - steer

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: front wheel drive - steer
From: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 02:02:08 -0500
I believe only Bob summers drove the Polywog - Bill said after each run Bob
was rattled over the scary ride he just had - The Polywog was the first car to
use tandem wheels and the first streamliner to use front wheel drive , but the
drive train was a direct copy of the one in Jim Colbert's FWD roadster raced
first , I think in 1959 - It also had Zero offset front wheels and may also
have been unpleasant to drive - One front wheel drive streamliner has over 20
degrees caster and others use less than 10 degrees and they all seem to handle
well - There are two reasons for wheels to be toed in or out , to affect
handling or to compensate for slack or "give" in the front end parts - It
seems to be a matter of trial and error .