Re: Aluminum

To: "Bob Jepson" <bobbyhotrods@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Aluminum
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 07:43:33 -0600
Thanks for the offer Bob, right now I'm pulling apart the seat frame of the
bike, I originally built it welded on when I made the hardtail, and at that
time had not envisioned the air cooling duct that would go underneath it.
So when I thought of the duct, I began by figuring the seat frame was done,
and building the duct under and around it. I spent several days just
looking at it trying to make it in my mind the best way , and then spent
several days trying to build it outa alum, made a couple of ducts I threw
away cause they either looked terrible, or just didn't fit......and then
finally had the storm that said make the seat frame movable  (I hesitate to
call it a brain storm, ), by hinging it so its outa the way so you can get
AT stuff under there.....WHEW, what a difference it is, of course I had to
throw away the third partly finished duct, because now that I can get at
it, I changed the location of the supports for it so now there is more room
for the duct, etc etc, etc....anyway, I bought the alodine stuff from
aircraft spruce to make this short story shorter......and now have a LOT of
clean shaped metal  from the failed ductwork to practice on....

At 08:35 PM 12/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>John,
>     It's bothered me that I didn't tell you to simply anodize any
> aluminum. Paint will stick well, and you'll have a durable inexpensive
> finish. Bring everything that's aluminum to a small anodize shop before
> final assembly- it won't cost much and it's well worth it. Also, any
> hardware that's attached that's not aluminum will get ruined, so there's that.
>     If there's no anodize shops where you are you could send it
> here.    Platin' Bob

           John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
            Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                  Bonneville Salt Flats
           H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                  144.396 MPH set 2000
       MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                     95.193 MPH set 2001
                 Antarctic Ice Driller Oct02-Jan03