gears and friction

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: gears and friction
From: tom sarda <sardatech@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:51:38 -0800 (PST)
You can absolutely improve the performance of gears in
transmissions and differentials by having the gears
deburred and polished.The object is to reduce
temeratures and get more horses to the ground.  There
are two  polishing processes. One is the REM method of
placing the gears in three different polishing media
in a vibrater over a 24 hour period. The media are
different courseness providing polishing to a finish
that looks chromed when done. The other process
produces a finish that looks not quite as finished or
chrome looking as the REM method, but, the gears are
deburred. I am not familiar with this process. I have
only seen the result. The key to gear durability is in
the set up, no matter what. Proper tooth load patterns
are tatamount to dependability. If heat treatment is
desired then the process is cryogenic. The gears are
subjected to -300 F degrees over a period of 12 hours.
The temp is dropped slowly and brought back slowly to
room temp. This changes the surface of the parts to a
different alloy that is harder than original. Used
gears as well as new can be treated this way.  This
cryogenic process , however, does not deburr or
polish.Keep that in mind. The cryogenic process is
used a lot in NASCAR , but just on the short track
gears. I have not utilized it and had success. I have
had as many as seven teams use my gears in any given
race. 75-90 Mobile synthetic gear
lube is the best performing lubricant I've seen and
used. Coolers are used in all cars I have worked with.
A good running gear at a short track , Martinsville or
South Boston, will run around 237 degrees. Remember
set up is the key. I have run brand new rings and
pinions at short tracks and have had no failures. You
MUST heat cycle these gears before racing.
  I have purchased gears from Grib and have had good
luck with his products. He has a great selection and
has never let me down. Call him. You won't be
disappointed.
 As far as brand names, Motive Gear is about the best
on the market. They are made in Italy. Richmond gear
is just now back cutting their ring gears to lighten
them. Motive has been doing this for a few years. Ford
Performance gears are the hardest to work with. They
tend to have so much runout that you may have a good
load pattern in one area of the ring gear and 180
degrees out the pattern is not good. Ford performance
gears are an exercise in compromise.
Tom