Aero Stability - More Ramblings

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aero Stability - More Ramblings
From: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:20:50 -0500
"If it don't handle or the driver ain't comfortable it won't ever go fast."

What does all the weight, ballast or down force, do to your tires? With M/T
ties out of the picture, for who knows how long, this is an important issue
for all of us trying to go more than 200 MPH.

Do you add ballast to compensate for poor aero? Depends on the class.
Sometimes you don't have any other option.

After factoring in down force and weight, what is the ideal percentage front
to rear at any given speed? 51 / 49? Hopefully Keith and Dave will be able to
answer that question with their new data log system.

I guess for the most part we are looking for down force so we can keep the
tires hooked up, front and rear. Being that most stock cars are shaped like a
wing there is often more lift than down force. Ed suggested that his car liked
front weight/down force. Hence Ed's successful wedge style angle of attack.
What does this do to your CD? Not a big benefit I would imagine.

Then there are roadsters, shaped more like a brick than a wing. However I
understand that the rear deck shape seems to promote lift. A spoiler might
help, but I don't think spoilers are allowed on roadsters so adding ballast
seems to be their only option. What is the current top speed for a Gas/Fuel
Roadster? How much did it weigh?

My car was built with 300 MPH goal in mind. Don't know what makes it so much
different from a 200 MPH car, but. Since I tested in Sept. at B-ville I know
it handles great at 200 MPH and that's all I know for sure. However I don't
see any reason that it won't work equally as well at 300 MPH. Never the less,
we will creep up on 300 MPH over several years to make sure we don't loose our
handling and balance as we move up in speed and into the unknown. The design
of my comp coupe hopefully will move air down the sides of the car and reduce
the air over the top and perhaps we can reduce some of the lift that way. To
that end I can add a spoiler if need be, but so far at 200 MPH there was
absolutely no need for one, which leads me to believe that I'm on the right
track. Time will tell.

JB

#79, E, D, C & AA/GCC