RE: Piston Slap ? Non LSR

To: ardunbill@webtv.net
Subject: RE: Piston Slap ? Non LSR
From: Ed Van Scoy <ed@vetteracing.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:05:48 -0700
The problem is the hyperutectic pistons. They rattle like a
diesel until they warm up, but the Company Line from GM is
"it's normal - don't worry about it". But, a friend whined
about it and GM DID give him an extended warrenty. Never heard
of any body having to use it tho..... Another friend bought a
ZZ4 crate motor for his Vette and it had the same piston
rattle. He knew there wasn't anythig wrong with it, but the
noise drove him crazy. He bought a motor with forged pistons
and gave the "old" engine to his son, who promptly installed
it in his off-road race Jeep. Ran like a top (and won lots of
races) & was still running when he sold the Jeep 2 years later.
Ed

>My nephew bought one of those trucks, unfortunately.  He told
me the
>word is out that if you cry and carry on about it with the
dealer or the