Lingenfelter

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lingenfelter
From: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:26:10 -0700
My enduring memory of John Lingenfelter will be watching him circle the
Firebird that Car and Driver editor Csaba Csere had put on it's top on the
salt.  The run had been the last one of the day and daylight was going
rapidly.  He didn't approach the car but stayed 40 - 50 feet out just
evaluating the way it had landed from what I could tell.  He didn't say
anything.  After the car was on it's wheels he checked it out closely and
made a curt comment about a driver who would hurt his neck when he released
his belts while hanging upside down.

I just looked at the photos I took of the beginning of that run and they
brought back lots of impressions of that event.

I had seen him before on the salt and at SEMA.  He was always pleasant and
friendly to me.  Had a few short stories to tell and some terse observations
to make each time.  Another racer I'll miss seeing again on the salt.

Wes